Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day One

Dear Reader,
As our first full day in Ecuador comes to a close, it is very hard to condense everything to just a few short bloggable words. How can you adequately describe this lovely country and it's wonderful people? I know it has only been day one, but I feel like Alice in Wonderland with a new adventure around every corner with new senses to sense and sights to see, with friendships to strengthen and new friendships yet to make.

So far, I have adjusted to the altitude and I've gotten more courageous with speaking Spanish... For the most part anyway!

After our excursion to the City at the Center of the World and Pelalahua (I probably slaughtered the spelling there, sorry), we came back for rehearsal and dinner. After that was an educational concert given by Angies uncle and a band. They gave examples of autochtonous -ie indigenous or native- Ecuadorian musical genres, making our research assignments more tangible and understandable. I tried to present the pasacalle, but my only real success was proving my inadequacy at pronoucing Spanish. (This is just one more reason why I am a collegium instrumentalist!) The lead vocalist was so talented... And she was gorgeous! If my senior prom had been anything like tonight, I would have enjoyed it so much more, haha. A second band came on afterwards whose name in English was 'Get Out of the Way.' They were CRAZY. A very nice young man tried to teach me to salsa dance. That was inevitably just one huge fail, as I have three left feet. Yes, three. It was so much fun though!!! Can we get those guys to come back again sometime this week? :D. Hint hint ...


As much as this is a performance-based trip, and even though we've spent just one night and one day here, I have already learned a lot about Ecuador and myself as well. I have learned firsthand that the Ecuadorians are happy and joyous. In fact, I cannot get over how absolutely loving and warm they are! Yes I am most definitely a foreigner and no, I have no clue what you just said, but let's dance! And hug! And laugh! It's impossible not to fall in love with them right away. I also learned that there are around 400 if not more separate and distinct ethnic groups in Ecuador. And what of me, you may or may not ask? Well I learned that I can, in fact, drink non-Dunkin Donuts coffee and I actually am capable of dancing like a moron for hours and really, really enjoy myself while doing so.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Quito and Ecuador. Tomorrow we're off to Ibarra for our first recording session. I'm so excited!

Stay tuned for more, dear reader!

Love,
Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment